How to transfer mobile number from prepaid to postpaid?

Updated on December 18, 20181 min read
mobile transfer

Here is a simple guide on how to switch your number from a prepaid plan to a postpaid plan, or vice-versa within the same mobile service.

Step 1: Approach customer care center

Approach the customer care center of you service provider or Log on to Β SwitchMeΒ to sign up. The sign up is an easy 2 step process. After which you will get a call from our customer relations team.

Step 2: Documentation

Submit your address proof, identity proof and photo in the customer care center after which they will give you a migration form to fill. Now you need to choose a postpaid plan of your choice. The security deposit you are liable to pay depends on the plan you choose. However, you can migrate your number from the comfort of your home by having the required documents collected and form filled, by our customer relations officer, at your convenience.

Step 3: Verification

Then the service provider will conduct a verification of your documents against the ones you had presented while acquiring your previous SIM card. Then a new SIM will be handed over to you. But if you sign up with SwitchMe, we will hand over the SIM card to you.

Step 4: Activation of new SIM

Activation of the new SIM card may take up to 48 hours, after which, your migration will be complete. Now switch from prepaid to postpaid in 2 minutes with the help of this calculator. All you have to do is sign up, we will take care of the rest πŸ™‚

Step 1 of 3 : Enter Your Current Information

Mins
Mins
Nos
Nos

Tarini comes with a degree in Mass Communication and Media studies. She joined SwitchME as a content writer and moved on to being an assistant product manager. Tarini is an experienced Content Strategist with a background in Product development and management. She is skilled in SEO, social media strategy and online content marketing and likes to travel when possible

1. MOHAN LAL BISHNOI
    May 01 2018 at 2:49 pm

my number 9560080779 i want to change in prepaid to post paid airtel service call me please

Suma Ganesh
      May 09 2018 at 7:40 pm

Hi Mohan,

SwitchME has changed gears with time.
      We have gained expertise in the area of home loans.
      We now provide advisory in the area of new home loans and balance transfer.

2. saravana
    Jan 22 2018 at 9:24 am

I want to change my Vodafone prepaid to vodafone postpaid, please tell me the process and this is necessary or not to have id proof of a city areas. Villages address proof are valid or not. I am from coimbatore .

Suma Ganesh
      Jan 22 2018 at 10:57 am

Hi Sarvana,
      Thank you for writing into us.
      We no long provide active advisory and services on network providers.
      As a general rule these days submitting KYC at least once is a must.

3. Hiranmay Mandal
    Oct 23 2017 at 1:16 pm

Hi ,I am Hiranmay mandal I want to convert my Airtel number from prepaid to postpaid.please call me…..

Suma Ganesh
      Oct 24 2017 at 11:53 am

Hi Hiranmay,
      Thank you for writing in to us.
      We now provide expert advise on new home loans and switching of home loans only.

4. Arnab
    Oct 06 2017 at 7:25 pm

I have 3 questions. I want to covert SIM ownership from my father’s name to myself. It has been linked with fathers Adhar recently. Please let me know the process. I want to change Prepaid connection to Postpaid. I want 3G SIM coverted to 4G SIM. My SIM is with AIRTEL provider. Please let me know the precedure for all these 3 queries.

Suma Ganesh
      Oct 25 2017 at 11:57 am

Hi Arnab,
      Thank you for writing in to us.
      Generally speaking, it may not be possible to transfer a mobile connection.
      Converting from prepaid to postpaid and 3G to 4G sim are simple procedures.
      Please visit the nearest Airtel office with your documents in original. You may be able to complete all the tasks at once.
      Please note, we now focus on advising only in the space of home loans.

5. Dinesh
    Sep 30 2017 at 1:11 pm

How I will convert my prepaid idea connection of haryana in to postpaid idea , when I m in Jammu and Kashmir….????

Suma Ganesh
      Oct 27 2017 at 8:23 am

Hi Dinesh,
      You can approach any Customer Care center of your network provider and fill out a form for transferring to a postpaid connection.
      – You will need to attach an ID proof, an address proof (for current location), 2 passport sized photographs.
      – Then they will ask you to choose the plan you want to switch to
      – Once you have chosen the plan, you will need to pay a certain deposit amount (depending on the plan you choose)
      – The new SIM card given to you should get activated within 1 week or so
      The provider will be able to guide you if there are any specific regulations to follow in your area

6. Syed Zameeruddin
    Sep 07 2017 at 4:26 pm

Hi Team,
    I want to transfer my prepaid connection to post paid Airtel but with same number.
    Please call me back.
    Thanks,
    Zameer

7. vibhash
    Sep 24 2016 at 4:22 pm

sir
    my vodafone sim of delhi,i live in agra, i want to say in vodafone with postped ,what are the procedure for this.???

Sep 27 2016 at 12:09 pm

Hi Vibhash

– You will need to attach an ID proof, an address proof, 2 passport sized photographs.
      – then they will ask you to choose the plan you want to switch to
      – the new SIM card given to you should get activated within 1 week
      I hope this is helpful πŸ™‚

8. Sivasankar Reddy
    Sep 17 2016 at 1:00 pm

Hello
    I am Sivasankr reddy, I would like to convert my pre paid Airtel connection to post paid immediately. Please contact me asap. Because,it’s very urgent requirement for me.Thanks

Sep 27 2016 at 3:14 pm

Hi Sivasankar,

We don’t do this service anymore, but i can help you out with the procedure.
      You can simply approach any Airtel Customer Care center and fill out a form for transferring to a postpaid connection.
      – then they will ask you to choose the plan you want to switch to
      – the new SIM card given to you should get activated within 1 week
      I hope this is helpful πŸ™‚

9. thiru
    Sep 14 2016 at 1:44 am

hai, Actually i have taken a sim with my friend’s address proof. And now we are aparted. So i want to take a postpaid connection. So can i proceed for that with my address proof and i lost the sim recently . Can i get it back. its a aircel sim

Sep 15 2016 at 12:08 pm

Yes you can opt for a post-paid connection with your address proof and you can retain your same number with a new sim, if the number is still available.

10. Kushagar
    Sep 12 2016 at 1:10 pm

How to convert vodafone postpaid to vodafone prepaid?? And please also tell me ot how to get previous plan back on my number.

Sep 27 2016 at 4:45 pm

Hi Kusagar,

You can simply approach any Vodafone Customer Care center and fill out a form for transferring to a prepaid connection.
      – then they will ask you to choose the plan you want to switch to
      – once you have chosen the plan, you will need to pay a certain deposit amount (depending on the plan you choose).

11. Akshay
    Aug 18 2016 at 2:12 pm

Hey,
    I want to port my Airtel prepaid sim from Mumbai circle to a postpaid one in MH circle. Is it a two step process as in, circle change and pre to post.
    Also what happens to my prepaid sim balance when I perform the porting.

Sep 28 2016 at 3:51 pm

Hi Akshay,

The process is same as that of porting from prepaid to postpaid. You will have to utilize the balance before porting.

12. Aamir Farooq
    Jul 31 2016 at 11:44 am

Hi I am living in Srinagar ,Kashmir ,As our current situation I cannot go out to visit aircel office ,can I convert my prepaid to postpaid online

Sep 29 2016 at 3:25 pm

Hi Amir,

Yes you can convert it to postpaid online. Kindly call airtel customer care to know the procedure.

13. Ranita Pramanik
    Jul 27 2016 at 8:33 am

Hi Tarini. I’m Ranita. I’m getting transfer from kolkata to bangalore. I have a airtel postpaid CUG sbi corporate connection in kolkata. I want to get the same mobile no in bangalore in form of local bangalore number in the same cug sbi corporate plan. What is the procedure for that? Also tell me what documents are required for this.

Sep 29 2016 at 6:02 pm

Hi Ranita,

You need to provide one ID and Address proof of the applicant with clear photo on the document and 1 passport sized photo. For COCP Connections Company documents will be required and your company should do all the formality required for the same.

14. varun
    Jul 11 2016 at 6:27 pm

hi tarini i want to know small information regarding MNP .As i got my prepaid sim from my brother and he asked his friend to get it and i got from him i have used that number from 2 years and now i am getting call and message like ur number not in use please avoid uninterrupted services and i asked for customercare and they said that ur number adress miss match and idea care suggested please change the address proof on your identity or else it will disconnect .here the problem i asked my brother he said that he dont know that details so if i go for porting to docomo sim prepaid service only they will port that number to another network or they cant port it ?please give suggestion how to overcome with this situation and i have given my number to many people some having important contacts i dont want to loose that number so shall i port that number with my proof ?it will be successful or not ?

Sep 28 2016 at 5:11 pm

Hi Varun,
      You can easily port the number to some other service providers.

15. Surendra Sharma
    Jul 03 2016 at 3:28 pm

Please help i want to switch vodafone prepaid to vodafone postpaid but i have 400rs balance in prepaid how i transfer this balance to bank account or mapaisa or other

Oct 13 2016 at 5:03 pm

Hi Surendra,

Sorry for the delayed response. You cannot transfer this balance, you will have to utilize it before switching to postpaid.

16. Fahad
    Jul 02 2016 at 2:32 pm

Hi Tarini,

I have been using the same number and sim card from the past 8 years now. I just discovered that my number is on somebody’s name who i don’t even know. What should i do?

Sep 28 2016 at 4:31 pm

Hi Fahad,

Getting in touch with your service provider would help you.

17. Akvmean
    Jun 21 2016 at 11:42 pm

How to cdma postpaid to gsm preapaid my tata docomo no.

Jun 22 2016 at 2:40 pm

Hey Akvmean

Its not possible to transfer CDMA to a GSM connection. You will need to take a new handset for that.

18. mouli
    Jun 17 2016 at 7:06 pm

Hello the prepaid sim is registered with my dad name.
    Can I get it converted to postpaid with my proof or with my dad proof.

Jun 21 2016 at 2:25 pm

Hey Mouli

Here’s a list of documents you will need to provide to get the SIM converted:
      1. An NOC from your dad stating that he has given consent for the conversion.
      2. His ID proof and Address proof
      3. He will need to sign the form too.
      4. Along with this, he will need to give another letter stating the he has no objection to transferring the ownership of the SIM card to you.
      5. along with this letter you will need to furnish ID proof and Address proof.
      6. Any charges pertaining to your service provider for these services will apply.
      I hope this is helpful πŸ™‚

19. naveen
    Jun 09 2016 at 11:21 pm

I’m using airtel prepaid from past 4 years which is registered with my friend name and now he is not reachable i mean he is working in other state.I have all my contacts from this number from two days mobile showing sim not installed.i tried with other mobile also but it shows same,sim is active i want to replace the sim but service provider asking ID proof who registered.

Jun 10 2016 at 2:35 pm

Hey Naveen
      This is a tricky situation. I suggest that you track down your friend as providing an ID proof is a must for getting the SIM replaced.
      To avoid any complications as this in the future, you can ask your friends for an NOC for getting the ownership of the SIM transferred to your name. I hope it works out for you πŸ™‚

20. ankit
    Jun 09 2016 at 12:07 pm

hi, just wanted to know what will happen to my current prepaid balance when i switch to postpaid for vodafone

Jun 10 2016 at 1:51 pm

Hey Ankit

The existing balance in your prepaid account will become invalid once your switch to postpaid. The amount will not get carried ahead to your new account. Hence I suggest that you maintain minimum balance so as to minimize loss at the time of switching πŸ™‚

21. Ameer
    Jun 04 2016 at 2:33 pm

N I want to change from vodafone prepaid to postpaid and also want to change the sim holder documents it it possible?

Jun 04 2016 at 6:55 pm

Hey Ameer

It’s possible indeed. You can simply put in an online request on vodafone’s website or visit their nearest customer care center.

22. Kuldeep
    May 19 2016 at 6:04 am

I want to change my Vodafone prepaid to airtel postpaid, please tell me the process and this is necessary or not to have id proof of a city areas. Villages address proof are valid or not. I am from Rajasthan.

Jun 07 2016 at 5:34 pm

Hi Kuldeep

1. Yes, its necessary for all SIM card applicants to have valid ID and address proofs.
      2. Yes, the address proof of a village address will be valid (ration card, voter ID is acceptable)
      3. You can simply approach any Vodafone Customer Care center and fill out a form for transferring to a postpaid connection.
      – then they will ask you to choose the plan you want to switch to
      – the new SIM card given to you should get activated within 1 week
      I hope this is helpful πŸ™‚

23. DEBASHIS SENGUPTA
    Mar 17 2016 at 4:41 pm

I WANT TO CHANGE MY AIRCEL PREPAID CONNECTION TO POSTPAID. WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE ?? PLS WRITE MAIL ME AT dsg7685878802@gmail.com

Oct 13 2016 at 5:06 pm

You can simply approach Customer Care center and fill out a form for transferring to a prepaid connection.
      – then they will ask you to choose the plan you want to switch to

24. Nirmal Dixit
    Mar 09 2016 at 6:23 pm

I am from ghaziabad. I want to switch my prepaid number to a postpaid. Which company should i choose as i am a student.

Oct 13 2016 at 5:09 pm

Hi Nirmal,

Sorry for the delayed response. You could probably find the best network in your area and switch accordingly.

25. soujanya
    Feb 24 2016 at 3:26 pm

Hi friend,

I want to change my Vodafone sim from Prepaid to Vodafone Post Paid i want to know whether is it possible & if possible how much time it takes. please give me reply. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Soujanya

Feb 25 2016 at 2:06 pm

Hey Soujanya

Its definitely possible to switch your connection from prepaid to postpaid, you can either fill out an online request to make the switch on vodaphone’s site or go down to a customer care center and fill out a form. The entire process should probably take 10 – 15 days.

26. Raghavendra
    Feb 05 2016 at 2:50 am

Hi I need a new post paid CUG connection with a good number… Can u help me to get a good number??

Feb 08 2016 at 1:00 pm

Hey Raghvendra

Sorry, we will not be able to assist you in this regard. To get a good number, you will have to directly contact the service provider. Thank you for getting in touch with us πŸ™‚

• jayesh
      Feb 17 2016 at 4:22 pm

PLS TALL MI
      HOW TO RIGHT APPLICATION FOR vodafone POSTPAID to postpaid CUG

Feb 19 2016 at 2:22 pm

Hey Jayesh

There is no need to write an application as such, you ca simply go down to any vodafone gallery, or put in a request online on their website.

27. Arun
    Jan 28 2016 at 11:41 am

How can i change airtel prepaid to postpaid in online ???

• Sunil Bhuriya
      Mar 03 2016 at 12:07 pm

I want to change my tata doco sim from Prepaid totata docomo Post Paid i want to know whether is it possible & if possible how much time it takes. please give me reply. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
      Sunil Bhuriya

Sep 28 2016 at 4:35 pm

Hi Sunil,

Yes it is possible you can simply approach tata docomo customer care center and fill out a form for transferring to a postpaid connection. The new SIM card given to you should get activated within 1 week or so depending on your service provider.

28. Laxmi Subha
    Jan 26 2016 at 1:10 pm

Can I Airtel Prepaid to Airtel Postpad

Feb 08 2016 at 2:24 pm

Hey Laxmi
      Yes, you can transfer your mobile connection from Airtel prepaid to Airtel postpaid. Unfortunately, we will not be assist you right away as our mobile connection swithcing services are currently on hold. You can go ahead and initiate the transfer yourself by filling out a form and providing an ID proof and address proof along with 2 passport sized photographs in any Airtel Customer Relations Center around you πŸ™‚

29. Navdeep
    Jan 10 2016 at 8:47 am

Can i port my tata docomo postpaid to airtel prepaid

Jan 20 2016 at 4:20 pm

Hey Navdeep

you surely can port your mobile connection to Airtel, you just need to go down to an Airtel gallery and fill out a MNP form. After which you will have to generate a Unique processing Code (UPC). The entire process should get down with a week or so.

30. kailash kulhade
    Jan 05 2016 at 3:55 pm

I moved to USA and realized that Reliance GSM does not provide International Roaming facility. What should I do when I am already in USA.
    Can I change the Service provider?
    Can I change from prepaid to postpaid?

I need to do this since my number is given in banks and other related places and requires OTP for authentication.

Jan 06 2016 at 2:11 pm

Hey Kailash

The best option in this situation is to ask one of your kin or next of kin to process the transfer request on your behalf. Meanwhile, you could explore some international plans online. If, the process takes long, then you may have to take a new number.

31. Rishabh Pandey
    Jan 02 2016 at 1:22 am

I want to change my bsnl prepaid network of bangalore to vodafone/airtel postpaid network of delhi-ncr

32. MOHANKUMAR
    Nov 06 2015 at 7:48 pm

i want to my aircel Tamil nadu prepaid no to Mumbai postpaid no urgently

Nov 09 2015 at 3:58 pm

Hey Mohankumar

Thank you for getting in touch with us. I regret to inform you that we are currently non- operational in Tamil Nadu due to which we will not be bale to assist you in switching your Mobile number to postpaid.

33. ABHISHEK DWIVEDI
    Oct 28 2015 at 3:08 pm

i want to my aircel prepaid no to postpaid no urgently

Oct 28 2015 at 5:03 pm

Hey Abhishek

I regret to inform you that our Mobile Number Switching Service has been suspended shortly, we will not be able to help you out in this regard. We will inform you as soon as the service is up again. Thank you so much for showing interest in hiring our services.

34. Anchal
    Aug 12 2015 at 1:04 pm

Hi Tarini,
    Please let me know if you provide services in Bangalore as a friend wants to change prepaid number to postpaid.

Thanks,
    Anchal

Aug 12 2015 at 3:33 pm

Hey Anchal

Though we provide our other services (home loan transfer) in Bangalore, we don’t yet provide mobile number transfer as a service. We regret the inconvenience caused to your friend.

• balajee
      Jan 18 2016 at 3:53 pm

Why do you have this service option still displayed in the website if it’s non-functional?

Jan 20 2016 at 3:44 pm

Hey Balajee

While the service has been put on hold for a while, we will be commencing it soon! We apologize for the long wait and any inconvenience caused to you as a result.

35. k.chandra sekhar rao
    Aug 04 2015 at 12:34 pm

my name is k.chandra sekhar rao my no is 9666616956 iwant to convert to prepaid from postpaid as iam a retired employee. please inform the simplest proceedure at the earliest to enable me to follow the same immediately.
    Thanking u
    yrs faithfully
    chandra sekhar rao

Aug 04 2015 at 2:03 pm

Hi Mr.s Rao

Thank you for getting in touch with us. You will receive a call from our Relationship Manager shortly, he will guide you through the process:)

36. gurpal singh
    Jul 21 2015 at 8:58 am

my prepaid number convert to postpaid in airtel

Jul 22 2015 at 2:22 pm

Hey Gurpal

You could sign up here, after which our Relationship Manager will get in touch with you, to take you case further πŸ™‚

37. HARINATH
    Jul 17 2015 at 4:13 pm

Hi

i want to change my official reliance postpaid to personal prepaid connection.

What should i do…

Jul 20 2015 at 1:58 pm

Hey Harinath

you could approach the nearest customer care center and fill out a form to put in a switching request. Since yours is an official connection, you will need an NOC/ letter from your office, a copy of the last bill paid and your ID proof.

38. Kumar
    Jul 12 2015 at 8:20 pm

Hi Tarini,

I want to convert my vodafone postpaid to prepaid, kindly advise.

Jul 20 2015 at 6:15 pm

Hey Kumar

You can do so by getting in touch with the nearest Vodafone Customer care center. You will need to fill out a form and provide them with your ID proof.

39. Fareha
    Jun 25 2015 at 12:23 pm

Hello i want to change my Airtel prepaid to postaid immediately what should i do

Jun 30 2015 at 2:14 pm

Hey Fareha

Please select the plan you want to switch and sign up here, and our Relationship Manager will get in touch with shortly after.

40. anoop khare
    May 18 2015 at 6:57 pm

Hi
    this is anoop khare I want to change my prepaid connection to post paid connection plz help me

Jun 10 2015 at 5:08 pm

Hey Anoop

Thank you for getting in touch with us. Our Customer Relations Manager will get in touch with you shortly πŸ™‚

41. Senthil
    May 15 2015 at 2:41 pm

Hi Senthil here, I would like to convert my airtel postpaid number to airtel prepaid number. I am getting an error
    “Oh snap! You Cannot Switch Between Same Service Provider”.

Is the error I get when I try to switch from reliance postpaid (cdma) to reliance prepaid (cdma)

Jun 10 2015 at 5:12 pm

Hey Senthil

You are seeing that message because switching between Reliance cdma connections is not possible. Do feel free to select prepaid plans with other service providers.

42. madhu
    Apr 27 2015 at 2:58 pm

Hi this is Madhu, I want to change my number from idea prepaid to airtel post paid. can you please help me out and also I want to know the good offers for airtel post paid.

• Priyanka
      Apr 27 2015 at 5:34 pm

Hi Madhu,
      There are many plans that we can suggest. Please share your contact details or connect with us at +91-8108899980.

Regards,

43. vijay
    Feb 23 2015 at 8:32 pm

Hi I change recently airtel to docomo post paid but I not get 3g connection from this network while I checking with customer care they not respons correctly please suggest what I will do now I don’t know

Feb 24 2015 at 1:09 pm

Hey Vijay

Its an unfortunate situation you have found yourself in :/ Since you’re on a postpaid plan, you will have to continue to follow up with the officials to include 3G data connection in your plan. Have you tried approaching them on social media (twitter/fb)? It might get you a quicker response from the officials.

44. Karthik
    Dec 06 2014 at 4:24 pm

My Prepaid Number change to Postpaid number for my own plan. So wat is the procedure for change the postpaid plan

Dec 08 2014 at 2:36 pm

Hi Karthik

To change your postpaid plan you can follow the same procedure mentioned in the post. The procedure remains the same for changing from postpaid to prepaid or the other way round.
      If you’re in Mumbai, then you can sign up with us to have our team do the process for you.

45. Sasvat Sharma
    Nov 28 2014 at 2:11 pm

Hello
    I am Sasvat Sharma I would like to convert my pre paid Tata Docomo connection to post paid immediately. Please contact me asap. Thanks.

• Chintan Udani
      Dec 01 2014 at 10:59 am

Thank you for choosing SwitchMe. Our operative will soon be in touch with you.

46. v
    May 28 2014 at 11:01 pm

hi i am vikas mohite i wont convert my prepaid connection to postpaid

May 29 2014 at 2:49 pm

Hi Vikas
      Kindly sign up at http://switchme.in/switch-mobile so that we can process the switch. While signing up, you will also be able to select the postpaid plan you wish to switch to.

• Jacob
      Sep 23 2014 at 7:26 pm

Hello I am Jacob I would like to convert my pre paid airtel connection to post paid immediately. Please contact me asap. Thanks.

Sep 25 2014 at 2:40 pm

Hi Jacob!
      Kindly sign up at http://switchme.in/switch-mobile and our Customer Relations Manager will get in touch with you πŸ™‚

• Amethyst
      Dec 08 2014 at 9:50 pm

Oh snap! You Cannot Switch Between Same Service Provider

Dec 12 2014 at 3:21 pm

Hi Amethyst

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. We have rectified the issue, kindly try again. If you face any other issues, feel free to contact us at ops@switchMe.in, or leave us your contact no. and we will get back to you.